Holden brand to be 'retired'. What does that mean for the Supercars?
The Holden car brand will be no more, with General Motors opting to dump the name synonymous with Australian motoring by 2021.
After closing the company's local manufacturing operations in 2017, GM has taken the "difficult" decision to retire the brand from sales in both Australia and New Zealand.
"After comprehensive assessment, we regret that we could not prioritise the investment required for Holden to be successful for the long term in Australia and New Zealand, over all other considerations we have globally," GM International Operations Senior Vice President Julian Blissett said on Monday.Watch the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship on KAYO. Every race live & ad-break free during racing with game-changing features and the FOX SPORTS race commentary team. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
The implications for Holden's participation in V8 Supercars aren't immediately clear, but it throws up several questions.
There's program in place between Holden and Triple Eight until the end of 2021. Supercars had also expected Holden or GM to have an operational factory beyond that season.
Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said the competition had been in ongoing discussions with Holden over the Gen3 regulations, which kick in from 2022.
"They're very much feeding into and supporting that Gen3 process," he said.
"We had an OEM council meeting in December and we gave an update on where we're heading with Gen3. They're very much involved in the Gen3 process and remain committed to it.
"I think that General Motors, from we've been able to ascertain, will still be building performance cars in some way, shape or form. I think they'll have performance cars they'll be marketing here.
Hampton Downs and not Pukekohe Park will host this year's ITM Auckland Super400. The change of venue comes as a result of legislation that prevents Pukekohe Park from hosting motor racing on Anzac Day. This year's schedule moved the New Zealand ...
The Topical Antibiotic Pharmaceuticals market report gives CAGR value from 2014 to 2018 and how it is expected to reach from 2019 to 2026 with remarkable CAGR. The Global Topical Antibiotic Pharmaceuticals industry market professional research ...
After uncapped Pakistan pace sensation, Haris Rauf's cut-throat celebration in Big Bash League (BBL) got banned, the 26-year old came up with something brand new on Wednesday when he bagged a hat-trick to lead Melbourne Stars to an emphatic win ...
Two-time defending Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin has got his dream taste of an IndyCar in a test for Team Penske in the US. McLaughlin has long been known to desire a shot at racing in the States and got an opportunity with his Shell V-Power ...
The date for the Pukekohe round was moved from November to April for the 2020 season and coincides with the Anzac Day. Legislation in the area of the Pukekohe circuit prohibits racing on that day. “We'd obviously been proceeding and had set the date ...
More News in sport
The Aussie carmaker announced a fresh two-year commitment to its factory Supercars programme, run by Triple Eight Race Engineering, mid-way through last year, the deal covering the 2020 and 2021 seasons. At the same time Holden
Holden has stated that it will work through the implications of the brand's retirement with Supercars and Red Bull Holden Racing Team. General Motors confirmed the news via a media release issued today that Holden would
AETOS Capital Group will remain as Sydney FC's Principal partner for a third consecutive AFC Champions League campaign after the Australian Forex broker renewed its partnership with the A-League Franchise. The AETOS logo will take pride
Holden fans have gone into overdrive after the iconic car brand announced it would pull out of Australia completely by 2021. The shock announcement means Australians will no longer be able to buy a new Holden